Day 64: Final Reflection

A volunteer shared this during reflection today. She's been here for a month and is leaving in a few days. 


"One of the more theoretical lessons I've been learning here is about complexity. If you look at the media and think about what the average person knows about immigration and the border, it's very black and white. Learning about all the greyness in between is important—in regards to the immigration system, but also within each person. We're all so complex." 


I do agree that when it comes to immigration, people tend to rely on anecdotes and ideology, instead of understanding the whole picture. 

Immigration affects legal, political, and economic systems, but it has a lot of other outcomes—the most important being health and well-being. 

I think about the little boy who was put in detention for three months and separated from his family. What will be the psychological impact caused by early his life trauma and parental separation? 

I wonder where the families go to, what jobs they acquire. How will they adjust to a life as outsiders? 


But more importantly, I wonder what the dreams of each guest are, how they grew up, what they find meaning in, and how they like to spend their time. 

I think it's the details like this that aren't reported on enough. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 62: What Gets Me Through the Day?

Day 51: If You Could Describe the Shelter in a Sentence...

Day 55: Survivors