Day 48: Underfunded

A letter of civil disobedience that was shared in our prayer reflection today, written in April of 2019. It was included with a donation to Annunciation House. 


Department of the Treasury
IRS, P.O. Box 802501
Cincinnati, OH 45280-2501

Dear People of the IRS,

We have an escalating situation in our country with a government almost fully controlled by the big finance and military industries, and an administration promoting fear and hatred of minorities and the refugees of our wars. We therefore cannot morally pay the full amount of our tax due, and will instead give $4000, to be divided amongst a number of civic organizations that work to solve some of the serious problems mentioned above.

Having just returned from weeks volunteering in El Paso at non-profit centers welcoming refugees increases our faith that we need to change how our nation spends its tax dollars. Yet democracy has been gutted by our wealthy special interests. We can't wait any longer. 

We've had a windfall, and will return to our minimal income lifestyle (to be liable for minimal federal income tax) next year. May such efforts find God's blessing and help save us all from the arrogant pride and greed that is taking hold of our country, strangling our better natures. 

Yours truly


I've been reading a lot about Christian socialism recently, and I agree with some of its major tenets. 

Like a good Christian socialist, I do wish that we didn't need to look to the government to solve problems, but that whoever had more than enough to give was willing and able to give it.

The governmental programs that I've witnessed through the minimal service work I've done are impersonal, structured by bureaucracy, and create an environment that doesn't foster love. I think the problem ultimately lies in basic human selfishness, creating institutions that perpetuate human selfishness. 

Sadly, the institutions are in place, the bureaucracy feels inevitable, and it would take a miracle to remove the human from the ego. 

So, like the person who wrote this letter, at the end of the day I just wish the government cared a little bit more about helping refugees and a little less about big finance and military.


(A group of volunteers singing at mass last night.) 

Comments

  1. I agree that our government and the system is not focused on empathy and helping others. Too much greed and focus on special interest groups, the financial sector and the military. Banks can be "too big to fail" but it seems to be OK for the government to fail to help and support those among us who are desperate and in dire circumstances.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day 62: What Gets Me Through the Day?

Day 51: If You Could Describe the Shelter in a Sentence...

Day 55: Survivors