Day 22: My Pillow Book

I sometimes write short lists of "pillow thoughts" before I go to bed, inspired by Sei Shonagon's Makura no Soshi. The work is a connection of loosely connected anecdotes, poems, and personal observations spurred by Shonagon's daily life. 

Here were my pillow thoughts last night as I fell asleep. 

Exciting things: Clean sheets. Freshly baked bread. A recently bought plane ticket.
Solitary things: Showers. Long poops. Reading a book. Going for a walk.
Smells: American Red Cross hot meals. Meat and beans.
Things that make you sleep: Tea. Long drives. The droll of the announcer’s voice as he reads the news out loud in the early morning.
Things that wake you up: Coffee. Loud construction. Excessive sunlight. Anxious thoughts.
Complicated things: Crying with each other. At first for ourselves, then for one another, then for everybody.
Things you’re scared of: Falling. Loud noises. Conspiracy theories. ICE officers. 
Things that make you glad to be alive: Belly laughter. Old albums. Hugs.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 62: What Gets Me Through the Day?

Day 51: If You Could Describe the Shelter in a Sentence...

Day 55: Survivors