Day 21: A Look Inside the Shelter
What keeps me going here are the little things.
From today:
1. The Haitian woman who blew me a kiss after I gave her two peanut butter sandwiches. I blew her a kiss back.
2. The little boy with the biggest smile who hugged a soccer ball and rolled around on the ground.
3. The guests' excitement at seeing bananas after not having fruit for so long.
4. The undocumented girl who cried when I told her that she was courageous for wanting to come across the border to send money home to her injured father.
5. The cookies I baked and left out for the volunteers.
6. The good laugh me and a family shared when I accidentally gave them a broken flip-flop for the shower.
7. All of the children who run around in a pack and scream with joy—finally safe and able to relax after months or even years of travel.
(Seven photos of the shelter to match my seven little things).
(Our intake room.)







Thanks for pointing out that the little things in life really do matter! It's nice to appreciate the human kindness and life's simple pleasures.
ReplyDelete