Day 11: Mary Margaret

Sister Mary Margaret and I sorted shoes for hours today. We joked that our next occupational aspiration should be working at Payless. 

"I wouldn't do this type of work if someone payed me a million dollars," Mary Margaret said. 

When we found a pair of toddler slippers with two right feet, Mary Margaret started laughing so hard she was crying. She said she was imagining the poor tot that walked out of the clothes dispensary with two left shoes. 

Tears rolled down her cheeks. 

"I bet his toes are hurting," she laughed. 

She told me that this is why it's a good thing she never became a mother. 


(Freshly picked flowers bringing warmth to our volunteer room that looks out over the parking lot.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 62: What Gets Me Through the Day?

Day 51: If You Could Describe the Shelter in a Sentence...

Day 55: Survivors