Day 5: Colibrí
Sister Julie and I went to Albertson's today. Julie is no taller than five feet and wears Birkenstocks.
As we were driving there, I noticed a small silver ring on her finger. I asked her where it was from. She smiled and said it was a colibrí (hummingbird).
The colibrí transcends borders as it migrates from the United States to Mexico each year. It symbolizes hope, perseverance, and individual strength—all principles that the migrant families embody.
In indigenous lore, the hummingbird is a messenger between the living and the dead. Julie's ring made me think about all those that die coming across the border, all those that lose their culture, all those that (in a sense) must be re-born in an entirely new different and strange world.
I thought about birth and death and migration and flight. And when I saw a dead bird on the ground outside Annunciation House, it seemed fitting. I took a picture of it.

Comments
Post a Comment